final review windows 7 RC in my laptop Acer aspire 5583 (so long, cupang …)
Oh, My God!, I almost forget that 1st of March are the ‘warning’ month from Microsoft for the Windows RC In this month (hehehe … wouldn’t affect m, because I have remove RC on my laptop and replace it with my beloved PCLinuxOS 2009.1 which I have updated it), The windows 7 RC user are force to shutdown every couple hour counting on this march. Therefore I make this last summary on Windows 7 RC in my faithful lappy, Acer Aspire 5583. If you guys read my previous post, you probably taught that why am I have to make another review if I already did? (even though it’s in Bahasa Indonesia).
For simple explanation, it is because this windows 7 are “growing” through time (read: update) and I just want to share what windows 7 RC have develop these couple month. and here it is:
1. First let me tell you about my windows experience score in win7. in this couple update, sadly my score are not rising, still got 2.1, just like the first time i tested. it is very disappointed, I’m hoping at lease it will exceed Vista (I got 3.0 in vista windows experience test), how is possible? isn’t vista is much heavier than 7?. And I finally had ‘enlighten’ on why I got small score. the reason is because my VGA are still GMA 950 chipset. If I got latest intel VGA such X3100 or 4500HD I probably got more than 3 in the windows experience.
2. For drivers and hardwares, I don’t have problem with it. I know my lappie are not brand new (in fact it is the first gen of core 2 duo), but I guess what I feel when I use win 7, my lappie does not sign any trouble, yes, I could not find modem and launch manager for vista (because windows 7 can use vista’s driver) but thank God, actually they can be install in windows 7 with XP driver . For the rest, windows seven RC almost look like linux, all the driver such as VGA, sound, Wireless and others are installed out of the box.
3. Printer: yes I have a problem installing my old canon bubble jet BJ-2100 until I find out that windows 7 RC got compatibilities mode, so I try that and my printer works just fine.
4. The best thing about win 7 RC is i could connect to the internet with my beloved cell phone, W950i. in beta version, I could not connect with “outside world” because of apparently beta version are not support yet with all vista driver. RC are much more improved.
5. I don’t know about you, but Windows 7 are weird, here I can use aero effect flawlessly but I couldn’t use hibernate due to VGA issue? how’s that possible? Until my final review, I haven’t got the solution yet.
6. During the 6th month using this RC, My laptop got weird, the harddisk are making loud noise. I totally shock that. I though that my Harddisk are having a problem, but turn out that the windows 7 RC giving weird effect after I have just installing the update. So due to this problem, I Uninstall the RC and replace it with Karmic Koala Which I have just got from Canonical . Until know, I have no clue why this happen …
So, there it is, my last review on Windows 7 RC. Quite sad for not using it until march (you know how often microsoft giving free stuff? … hehehe ) But I concern about my lappie, so I have to remove it before my hard disk get trouble. I don’t have any plan to get windows 7 copy (either genuine or piracy ) , Because know I still exploring my ubuntu and other Linux Distro. Maybe I’ll enjoy Windows 7 when it already have SP3 and I enjoy it on my brand new Laptop. Pray for me will ya so that I could buy new laptop…